Thursday, July 19, 2007

Want To Go For A Bike Ride? PART 1

From where I live it's easy. Every path and road goes somewhere, over and under hills, woods, villages, alongside highways, up mountains... get in shape here in Asturias real quick with a bicycle tour. First I take off out of my garage, on top of a steep hill. So the beginning is complimentary- zoom zoom down the hill, past all manner of plants and animals (we saw a baby boar trotting down the road one time recently- she must have beem a mix, with stripes, orange coloring. Looked like some kind of tropical animal from S. America). Momentum takes me up partway, and then I have to pedal. Maybe I will walk the last few meters, to the top of the hill... and I am already in another hamlet (like a rural neighborhood). Now it's down again, twisting and turning like on a rollercoaster. What a blast! You don't have to ride like me, slow works too, but I like this. All that speed is enough to carry me a good mile (no braking), past the abandoned mining area all the way to the bottom of the "monte" which leaves me in another, but much larger, rural "urban" area. This one is interesting, it was built for the miners when that concern was still in operation. The company was from Belgium so out of the blue in the middle of Asturias rises a place that looks like blue-collar Belfast, or some other N Europe city. Rowhouses (unheard of here) and a neat layout. I glide past, to the residential part below. There are a few shops, and some almost suburban American looking houses, made of stone. Under the bridge and I am deposited on the other side of the highway. Now I am in what is verging on a small town, shops, appartments, bars...and empanada. Mmmm. What is empanada? (To be continued)

No comments: