Wednesday, July 11, 2007

The Estuary at Villaviciosa

On a bright day with soft weather there is a place of calm called
"La Ria de Villaviciosa". This is the exit of several small rivers
to the sea, in the region of Asturias, on the green north coast of
Spain. A bridge is crossed and suddenly the land opens up, with
spreading water and wetlands. Reeds, islands, birds, the agua
becomes salty as the ocean draws near, some 4 miles down the road.
Along both sides of this estuary are houses; chalets, farmhouses,
stables. There are many restaurants, and places to rent a canoe or kayak. 
The boat launches are right on the water, which is where I
want to be. First, though, I am going to the local wildlife museum.

This aquarium, terrarium and exposition shows the variety of plants
and animals, land and sea, found in natural park-  I forgot to
mention, this is a protected zone with carefully tended natural
resources. The plan for the economy is to develop green tourism,
and adventure/nature experience. So I am in the right place, for
someone of my temperment. Bicycle on a quiet road, wander the edge
of the water, to get to...the beach. Of course. At the end of this
route is the marina, with fishing boats, more watercraft rentals,
restaurants, and an evergreen park of eucalyptae. Fresh smelling
and clear, with  a warm wind and gentle clouds in a blue sky...

And then, the beach. A long walkway buffers the park and beach
front from the ria, ideal for fishing. If you like bass you are in
luck because this is a major feeding area. You can join the locals
there, with the same idea, or jump in the water like I am about to
do. It's very calm here, and shallow, because this is the protected
side of the estuary- which is all salt water now. On the other
side, at this point, is the famous beach of Rodiles, with another
eucalyptus park still, and a long stretch of sand. I could swim
across the way, it's only about 1/3 of a mile....but maybe I will
pay the fee to the ferryman (in the summer he can be found there, or
hanging around the bar in front).


Right at this point of land, aptly named El Puntal, is a block of
seafront apartments. That's where I want my vacation house, go
downstairs and be on the beach, in the water, in the woods, sit
outside at the cafe, putter around in my kayak.

Or maybe I would rather be in the mountains. That's for next time.

No comments: